♥ I live and love enveloped by the unique beauty of the California High Desert so breathtakingly exemplified by nearby Joshua Tree National Park. My husband Dennis and my children Joe and Lily animate my world and, like the Joshuas, fuel the fires of my creativity. I invite you to gaze with me through cactus flower-colored glasses at our adventures and misadventures as we continue to explore High Desert culture, symbolism and reality, past and present. ♥ I am passionate about crochet, which I first learned as a child and have missed in intervening years. Under the thrilled tutelage of my mom, Thimblelina, I recently dusted off my beloved Grandmother's hooks and will share the things I am learning with you here. ♥ Please feel free to peruse my Etsy shop where you will find crocheted baby and toddler hats, bonnets and gift sets as well as my High Desert-inspired creations. A portion of net sales of my desert designs will go to the Joshua Tree National Park Assn. to benefit their programs. ~ Heather

Monday, February 16, 2009

Potpourri of us-ness



Thimblelina was kind enough to watch Joe and Lily for a while so Dennis and I could get out to a Valentine's/4th Anniversary Dinner at Stefano's - the local "fancy schmancy" (Yuccatucky style) restaurant. It was a ton of fun. I had my twice annual nip at the wine barrell and dusted off my "good" fake Ugg boots. (Dennis, you lucky dog you.) She also crocheted this lovely heart for us as a gift. As you can see, Joe was thrilled to pose with the heart - this is the third pic I took and by then he was like, "Mom! I love you, but Grandma has a new Barney video that I want to go over and check out.".



I'm beginning to suspect that my gummy little baby girl Lily is starting to teethe. As such, I picked up a bag of bagels the last time I was at the supermarket (oh, who am I kidding - the market). I've read for years that frozen bagels are great for teething. Lily wasn't so sure about them and Dennis and I freaked out when we saw what appeared to be a tiny amount of gagging and threw the bad sucker into the trash. I may try again when I get my nerve back. Or not.



On Friday I looked down at my arm at about say...oh...6:30 PM and noticed that I had a "just in case" scrunchie there, along with the bead bracelet I transfer from arm to arm to denote which boob is primed for the next bout of nursing. "What's the big deal?", you may ask. Well, upon closer inspection you can't help but notice that I had my hair up in a clip that day. Sigh.

My bra is still in the washing machine. I'm getting antsy. I have ONE nursing bra, as they're quite expensive. I'd get another, but then we'd have to sell the van. Am I the only person who hates being braless? All the other women I know just loooove walking around without their bras on, and can't wait to rip those bad suckers off the second they walk through the door. I, on the other hand, feel horribly floppy and unsafe, kind of like how I feel the two seconds after I sit in a car before I put my seat belt on. So, until my bra is out of the dryer (yes, I can't stand to take the time to let it air dry) I will be here at home wide-eyed and uncomfortable. Yipes!

Wising you a good week. And wishing I could figure out how to "un-center" these last two paragraphs. Mox nix.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Lea Monday, February 16, 2009 at 12:12:00 PM PST  

You are not alone on the bra-ful (vs. bra-less) pref. These droopy, 40-year-old girls were once the life of the party (?!) but now need all the support they can get after nursing two babies for a year apiece. Yeesh.

BTW, I'm yarning (oops, yearning) for that pink hat for my Ruby Doobie. You can't stop me from placing my order!

High Desert Hooker Monday, February 16, 2009 at 12:27:00 PM PST  

Rolling laughing at your "40 year old girls" being the life of the party.

And you are so sweet, but don't you dare!!!!!!!!

Marie Reed Monday, February 16, 2009 at 1:39:00 PM PST  

My girls are AA.. I so don't even need a boulder holder but I still even where one to bed! It keeps them warm and snuggly and may have bullet proof vest qualities!

Crochet Blogs

Blogs I Follow

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP